Thursday, August 6, 2009

Five Years

We got married, and about two seconds after moving into his masculine apartment on the Upper West Side, I realized I hardly knew him.



Now I realize that getting to know him is the best part of being married.

Back then we spent our days committed to similar pursuits: him negotiating contracts; me litigating cases of contracts gone bad. Now our days couldn't be more different. He manages mergers and acquisitions, while I negotiate the minefield of motherhood.

Back then we had 9:00 dinner reservations. Now we have a 9:00 bedtime.

Back then a perfect Saturday morning was breakfast sandwiches from the bodega on Columbus Avenue and College Gameday on the DVR. Now a perfect Saturday morning is two little girls bombarding our bed with giggles and tickles--hours before Big & Rich start singing "We're Coming to Your City."



Back then I hoped I was marrying the perfect man for me. Now I know I was right.

Happy Anniversary, Brian. I love you.

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Congratulations, Samantha and Brian! Hope you had a very special anniversary!

kbarsch said...

AAWWWWWWWW--that is TOO sweet (=

runneth-over said...

Beautiful!! So so so beautiful. Congratulations, you two. You are wonderful parents and a wonderful couple. This is my favorite post of yours. The nuances of marriage are the most special!

Daniel said...

I miss that old apartment! Happy Anniversary to you and Brian! Can't wait to see you guys soon.

Was your wedding really five years ago? Wow.

Sherry M. said...

I'll always remember that enchanted evening, watching how beautiful you are and how splendid the city looked from the balcony at the reception. One of my favorite memories. I love that pic of you two. And I loved getting to see your apt.in NYC. Remember Brian jogging down to the corner for ice cream for Sue?